Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Hadrian's Wall and Birdoswald

    September 15, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    While still in Newcastle upon Tyne, we decided on a day out of town today. A leisurely start to the day and a bit over an hour's drive through green fields, these two Novocastrians said "Salve" to Hadrian's Wall and to an archaeological excavation of a Roman fort built on it at the sleepy and very ancient village of Birdoswald.

    On the way there, we were wondering how this place was pronounced and finalised on Beardozvarld, given that we thought there might have been some Saxon or Viking heritage there. Upon arriving, we followied two little old ladies, and I do mean little (I think they were hobbits), through the museum teaching area of the site, and as they spoke in their thick Northern accents, we learned the truth of the saying, 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. They clearly knew the area and pronounced it, Bird Oswald. Oh how we laughed.

    That said, we launched off through the grass to trace the outline of the fort's outer wall and to see the stone ruins of various buildings, rooms, pits, armouries, barracks (they housed a thousand men there plus a few wives and children of the commanders). All in all, it took us about an hour to make our way around the fort and to regularly lift our gaze to the much bigger Wall itself which goes on for about 120 km. The surrounding countryside was breathtaking, simple, rustic beauty.

    I think I may have had a new interrest piqued while visiting: Roman Britain. I'm not sure. We'll see how that one settles over time. But the Romans did cross the Channel and occupy this land in 43 BCE and stayed till 410 CE. They called it Britannia. The excavation at Birdoswald said that after the Romans left, some of the soldiers stayed on, I presume to make thier lives here in Britain. Of course, the Vikings invaded and occupied in the 900s so things were not finalised by 410 CE by a long shot. Seeing Hadrian's Wall was both educational and fun. I would not have missed it.

    In the afternoon, Chris and I sat back at a bar back in Newcastle and had a beer, then walked up into the town one last time to buy some provender for dinner as we didn't want to eat out again. It's been a relaxing day and a fitting way to finish off our time in this lovely city. Did you know the Geordie equivalent of 'g'day' is 'hi ya'? Cute heh.

    We have fallen in love with Newcastle. It is a beautiful and vibrant city that has a great lifestyle for those fortunate to live here. We are very lucky to have had the opportunity to experience it for ourselves.
    Read more