Satellite
Show on map
  • Versaille

    May 25, 2011 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 4 °C

    Highlights: Versaille

    We were up at 7:30 and excited for our day trip to Versailles. We bought two ham and cheese baguettes at the corner boulangerie, and then looked for a cafe near D'Orsay. We ended up on St. Germain de Pres and paid 16 euros for 2 coffees and one croissant. I was very cold and realized I should have worn a coat as the morning was cool.

    We went to RER C under D'Orsay, used our Navigo pass and paid the small difference for our return trip to Versailles. I thought we were heading out of the City but learned that Versailles is inside the City boundary. As soon as we got off the train, we headed to Starbucks where we had the best coffee so far and a bathroom break.

    Versailles was huge - 88 hectares. The internet service centre where we thought we would pick up our tickets was closed so we waited in a huge line with thousands of people. It seemed there was no advantage to booking in advance. Once inside, we received a free audio guide that was very good as we toured the Palace for 2 hours.

    Thank God we had brought our own food. For lunch, we sat on a stone bench in the shade and thoroughly enjoyed our sandwiches. It was hot and sunny, and my feet were sore. We walked slowly down the gardens to the Grand Canal and Grand Trianon. I couldn't and wouldn't go any further so Belinda left me in the shade, and continued off to the Petit Trianon. Thankfully there was a little tram for 3 euros to take us back to the Palace. Belinda had another coffee and then we took the train home. We walked to our apartment and crashed on our beds.

    For dinner we went to the Pizza Diva on the corner. They made fabulous wood fired pizza and had unbelievable pistachio and chocolate hazelnut gelato. The bill was 91 euros which was a shocker but it was our first dinner out.

    Belinda's suitcase finally arrived at 10:30 pm. Ironically, it had a "rush" sticker on it.
    Read more