Satellite
Show on map
  • Museums and Gardens

    May 27, 2011 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 4 °C

    Highlights: Jardin Luxembourg, Musee Cluny, Place de la Sorbonne, Louvre

    We both woke at 7:00 and had our usual breakfast. It was chilly so we took our coats as we left for the day. We walked through part of the Luxembourg Gardens. We saw lots of joggers and gendarmes. We had coffee and croissants at Cafe Swisse. There was a drooly St. Bernard next to us eying our pastries.

    We walked to the Pantheon but it was closed for a staff meeting. We had another coffee while we made new plans. A young woman showed us the way to the metro behind (far behind) the Pantheon. We came out of the metro at the Musee Cluny. We went in and really enjoyed the venue and exhibits, especially the tapestries. We walked to the Place de la Sorbonne for lunch. I had Croque Monsieur and Belinda had a quiche. I took a quick picture of Hotel de la Sorbonne where Gary and I had stayed.

    We tried to tour the Sorbonne but they did not offer tours anymore. One guard allowed us a two minute peek and then we visited their small gift shop. We walked through the beautiful Cluny Gardens. It was such an oasis, just off busy St. Michel.

    We headed to the Louvre. We bought a two day pass at the Cluny Museum so we were able to skip the line. We arrived at 2:00 and agreed to meet up at 5:00 pm. I took it very easy watching a movie, enjoying a Starbucks coffee and touring the Renaissance section. I couldn't stand the thrum of so many people and my feet were protesting the walking and stairs. I was craving the peace and quiet of a green garden.

    We both had had enough so we headed home, thinking about a picnic dinner in the Luxembourg Gardens. We found 2 more grocery stores and replenished our supply of fruit and wine. We hobbled home and did our accounting. I did another laundry. It was so nice to have a washer and dryer in the apartment. We decided to eat in. We headed to bed around 9:30 pm. Another great day.
    Read more