Satellite
Show on map
  • Bad Coffee and a Dodgy Neighbourhood

    May 29, 2011 in Canada ⋅ 🌙 3 °C

    Highlights: Raspail Market, Les Deux Magots, St. Martin Canal, Seine Boat Ride, Sainte Chapelle concert, Crepes

    We were up at 8:00. Belinda did a laundry. We stopped at a brasserie next to the Raspail Market and had our worst coffee, made with evaporated or irridated milk, and day old croissants.

    In the market, we bought bread, strawberries and muffins made by an American who had a story written about her introducing muffins to Paris. We walked along a nice fashion street. When we returned to the apartment, we learned Belinda's laundry did not spin dry so we rested a while while she attended to her clothes.

    We walked to Les Deux Magots, a famous cafe, and got a great table in the shade. We people watched and had croquet monsieur with chicken and coffee. Then we took the metro to Republique. We were looking forward to walking along St. Martin canals. But we started feeling very wary. It was a poor area. We got lost and retraced our steps back to the canal but there were lots of men drinking in door ways and urine soaked mattresses on the pathways. The walk got a little nicer but we cut the trip short and went back to St. Michel where we caught a one hour boat tour on the Seine. It was really nice to be on the water, but it was hot and sunny.

    We went to a cafe near Notre Dame for oily French Onion soup and wine, followed by ice cream at Berthillion. We headed to Sainte Chapelle for the concert. This time we got to walk through the Justice Building to the concert and did not have to climb the claustrophobic stairs.

    The six musicians played Pachebel and Vivaldi's Four Seasons. The main violin player was amazing as was the light pouring though the beautiful stained glass windows. Afterwards we headed to St. Michel and spotted a crepe stand. We had nutella and banana crepes - incredible. We caught the metro home. We sat quietly on the balcony for a while. We were in bed by 11:00 pm.
    Read more