Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Forbidden City, Outer Court

    May 31, 2019 in China ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    This is the capital built by the Ming Dynasty and kept as capital when the Ming fell to the Qing. It remained the center of Chinese government until the 20th century when the monarchy ended. The outer court is the public area, or more accurately, the area open to the aristocracy, bureaucrats and dignitaries. The first pic is of the first Hall in the first court where visiting dignitaries met with government officials. The second pic is of the building of small rooms where those dignitaries waited. Next is a carving in the marble walkway reserved for the emperor. The next is a detail of one of the buildings that shows how the whole complex looked. Next is the building where the emperor rested during formal occasions as well as serving as the robing room to prepare for those occasions. Last is the main hall where the Golden Throne was located.
    This is another place that is incredibly more in person than any book or TV show can depict. It is quite stunning. I continue to marvel at being in these spectacular places that were no more than names or pictures or dim memories from some class in school.
    Read more