Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Dresden

    August 18, 2021 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Beautiful former capital of the Saxon rulers. Most of what is here are restorations as the city was destroyed by the bombing and firestorm in 1945. Many of the treasures were removed for safekeeping and have been return to their restored homes.
    This is another city that demands a longer visit as there is a lot of significant art here. This short visit allowed time to see some of the important buildings, but not the collections housed there.
    The 1st picture is the palace of the crown prince of Saxony. The 2nd picture is of a portion of the Procession of the Princes, a wall mural now made of porcelain tiles. The porcelain tiles are original as they were able to withstand the incredible heat of the firestorm from the bombing. The mural depicts all the rulers of Saxony.
    The 3rd picture is the opera house, said to be one of the best in Europe. The 4th picture is of part of the main church adjacent to the residential palace, while the 5th shows both the residential palace (where the ruler resided) and the church.
    The last picture is within the Zwinger. This was originally a kill box between the outer and inner city walls. It became a parade ground and event space. The buildings around the Zwinger are now some of the museums.
    Read more