Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Warsaw

    August 28, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Warsaw is the capital and largest city in Poland. There is so much here that I am providing several posts. This is just an introduction to the city.
    The 1st picture is of a landmark building. It is the Palace of Culture and Science. If you have been to Moscow, you might recognize Stalin's wedding cake architecture, as it is called. This building was a "gift" from Stalin to the people of Poland. Of course it was the tallest building and a reminder of the Soviet presence. The building to the left of the Palace is a new building under construction. The look of Warsaw is changing. In fact, the 1st building to be taller than the Palace of Culture and Science is only now being built. The 2nd picture show several buildings of various ages all together.
    The 3rd picture is of the Presidential Palace.
    The 4 picture is of one if many plaques line this around Warsaw. After the 2nd Warsaw uprising (the 1st was the Jewish ghetto uprising), Hitler ordered the destruction of Warsaw and it's people. The plaques are located where the local people were executed. The only difference is the number cited. This one says 50 were killed at this spot. I'm told there is one citing 550 deaths.
    Read more