Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Wolf's Lair

    August 30, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    This is probably Hitler's most well known military headquarters. It was here that all activity on the eastern front was directed, and it was here that the failed assassination attempt on 20 July 1944 took place.
    Interestingly, this place was never discovered during the war until the Soviets over ran the site after the German military had destroyed all evidence.
    When the Soviet army came through here, they blew up everything. The pictures I've included are remains and reconstructions of the bunkers that made up the 2.5 square kilometer site. It was, for all practical purposes, a small village unto itself.
    The 1st picture is Hitlers bunker. The 2nd is of the remains of the building where the assassination attempt took place, and the 3rd is a recreation of that space just before the bomb went off.
    The 4th picture is inside remains of a bunker. The 5th is a restored bunker where the Wehrmacht headquarters were located. Notice the rebar loops at the top. These were connection point for camouflage netting. The last picture is some reconstructed camouflage over a pathway.
    Read more