Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Sopot

    September 1, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Sopot is adjacent to Gdansk and is sometimes called the summer capital of Poland. It is a seaside town on the Baltic Sea known for health spas, beaches and pier.
    The 1st picture looks back at the shore and town from near the end of what is said to be the longest wooden pier in Europe. The tallest tower to the left is a Lutheran church. The next tallest, nearer the center, is a working lighthouse. The clinic in is also visible.
    The 2nd picture is of the spa/clinic using natural, highly mineralized water recognized by a surgeon in Napoleon's army who established the site. It is still in operation.
    The 3rd picture is the Crooked House located on Monte Cassino Street. This is not a touched up photo. The house was built that way. The street is named Monte Cassino in recognition of the Polish Army's significant role at Monte Cassino in Italy during World War 2.
    The 4th picture is also related to Polish Army units in WW2. Wojtek the bear was adopted by II Corps and became their mascot. He was enlisted as a private, participated at Monte Cassino and was promoted to corporal.
    The 5th picture looks along Monte Cassino Street, and the 6th is the main square near the pier and beaches
    Read more