Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Malbork Castle

    September 2, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Originally called Marienburg by the Teutonic Knights who built it beginning in the 13th century. It is said to be the largest castle (52 acres) in the world by land area, and I can believe it. This became the capital of of the Teutonic Order upon their move from Venice perhaps promoted by the treatment of the Knights Templar. It is considered a classic example of a medieval fortress.
    Because there is too much here for a single post, this post look at exterior features. The next post looks inside a few of the buildings.
    One of these famous items at Malbork is the 8 meter tall statue of Mary that is covered with glass tiles the make it glisten and visible for miles. This is my 1st picture.
    The 2nd picture looks along the outer wall and outer moat (now dry) of the Middle Castle, the largest of the 3 sections. The 3rd picture is of the courtyard of the Middle Castle.
    The 4th picture is of the counterweights on the chain to lift the drawbridge over another moat into the Upper Castle. The 5th picture looks along the covered walkway on an inner wall. The last picture looks back across the river to capture a view of most of the castle. A portion of the lower castle used for servants located to the left of the picture didn't quite fit.
    Read more