Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Zakopane

    September 7, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    If Sopot is the summer capital of Poland, (see another post), then Zakopane is the winter capital. This city lies at the foot of the Tatras Mountains in Southern Poland. It also a center for Goral or mountain culture (see another post).
    The 1st picture overlooks the city with the Tatras Mountains in the background. The 2 green stripes that seem to be heading up the far side of the valley are ski jumps. There are regular competitions here in season. The 2nd picture is of the ridge line called "sleeping knight mountain" from its shape.
    Zakopane is also know for it's interesting mountain architecture and woodwork. Pictures 3 & 4 are examples. One is a house and the other is a small chapel. If you blow up the picture of the chapel, you'll be better able to see a bit of the local craftsmen's handiwork.
    In a similar vein, the 5th picture is of a small cemetery with many unusual and artistic monuments, many in wood. Some are the creations of the artists buried here.
    The last is simply a look at the main pedestrian street in Zakopane. Imagine any active tourist town, and you'll get pretty close, international chains and all.
    Read more