Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Wencelas Square

    September 12, 2021 in Czech Republic ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    This is the new town square, but remember this is Europe. It was started in the 14th century when Charles IV wanted to enlarge the city. So he moved the city walls to a point behind what is now the national museum (with the dome). The statue in the picture gives the square it's name. That is good King Wenceslaus, the one who looked out on the feast of Stephen.
    The 2nd picture is of a bakery window. On the left is covid cake, and on the right is vaccine cake. Yes, these are real and quite good they tell me.
    The 3rd picture is the Mozart theater where Mozart performed and premiered a couple operas. This is one of several opera houses that still present opera in Prague and this is said to be the only remaining place where Mozart performed. I'm told Amadeus was filmed here.
    Continuing with the theme of Charles IV, the 4th picture is the central building of Charles University founded by that same Holy Roman Emperor from Bohemia in his push to make Prague an intellectual and cultural center.
    The last 2 pictures are of street scenes in this part of town.
    Read more