Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Vysehrad Castle, Prague

    September 15, 2021 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    Vysehrad, which is Czech for "Upper Castle, " was probably built in the 10th century. It is only about 3 km from Prague Castle and across the river. It is likely that this is the 1st structure that eventually became Prague. Charles IV (yeah, him again) moved the royal seat across the river when he built Prague Castle (see another post).
    The 1st picture looks over the ramparts of the castle. This gives you a good sense of the defensibility of the place. The 2nd picture is a main gate, called the Brick Gate, on the slope above the river.
    The 3rd and 4th pictures are on the lawn within the castle grounds. The 4 statues are mostly of legendary Czech rulers, singers and women. The exception is of the leaders of the rebellion against Charlemagne's troops in 805 who, it is said, were victorious.
    The 5th picture looks along the cloister in the cemetery in the cemetery where many Czech notables are interred, including Smetana, Dvorák and more.
    The last picture is of the rotunda of St. Martin, dating to the 11th century. It is the oldest rotunda in Prague.
    Read more