Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    More Viennese Impressions

    September 23, 2021 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    There is a lot in Vienna worth seeing. This post attempts to get some varied views of this city. The 1st picture is the Volkstheater located along the Ringstrasse not far from the Hofburg and Museumsquartier (see Vienna 1st impressions post). This was begun in the 19th century to extend access to these arts to more people.
    The 2nd picture is of the Graben. Graben, I'm told means ditch I'm German. This street is located on the filled in ditch/moat at the old city walls that are long gone. It is one of the most famous (and upscale) shopping streets in Vienna. In the distance you can make out the plague column, aka Trinity Column (with the golden statue on top). This was erected after the plague epidemic of 1679.
    The 3rd picture is of the Danube River. Vienna is one of the many major cities along the Danube. This picture looks upstream from one of the bridges. The river cruise port is on the left.
    The 4th picture is at the Naschmarkt, a popular spot in Vienna's food and market scene. This market traces its beginnings to the 16th century, and today has about 120 vendors, street food vendors and fine restaurants. I think I would describe it as a street market with a distinct, stereotypical Germanic feel.
    The last 2 pictures take us farther off the beaten path. Yppenplatz is an up and coming neighborhood, sometimes called the coolest neighborhood in Vienna. This area has become home to many immigrant groups and has attracted some creative types, too. The 5th picture is of the square with a number of interesting eateries. The last picture is of the Brunnenmarkt, less well-known but larger than the Naschmarkt, with 170 stalls stretched out along several blocks. This street market has a much less formal feeling. I do enjoy these markets.
    Read more