Satellite
  • Day 13

    Mariazell Basílica

    September 29, 2021 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Also known as the Basilica of the Birth of the Virgin Mary, this is one of the most important pilgrimage sites in Europe. The site dates back to the 13th century, but the current building dates to the 17th century.
    The 1st picture is of the front facade. The yellow in front of the door is a lift vehicle for some maintenance work in progress.
    The 2nd picture is in the nave looking at the very ornate Gnadenkapelle or grace chapel. This chapel is said to be located on the site of the 1st monastic cell here and serves as the chancel of the nave. If you look in the center of all the decorative work, you can make out a small white gown . This gown dresses a statue of Mary said to have been brought to the site by the first monks in the 12th century.
    If you look above the altar and altarpiece of the grace chapel, you can see that there is a large domed space behind the altar. This area houses the high altar shown in the 3rd picture and the stature of Mary of a pedestal.
    The last picture looks up at the main organ that dates to the 17th century, with numerous renovations and enhancements over the he centuries.
    Read more