Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Dobovac Castle, Croatia

    October 5, 2021 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    The Dubovac Castle is located near Karlovac (Karlsberg in German). It dates to the 13th century, with updates, enlarging and refurbishing over the centuries. The castle is built upon an artificial hill, presumably to make it more defensible.
    The 1st picture looks up at the fort. The square tower is the oldest part of the fortress. The 2nd picture looks across the inner courtyard to balconies that were used for access to hotel rooms at one time. Apparently, the hotel conversion did a lot of damage, and it is now in the process of being repaired.
    The next 3 pictures are all taken inside the square tower. It is several stories of equal sized square rooms. Picture 3 looks across the bottom room to the stairs. This was set up as a meeting room. Picture 4 is up one floor and is a chapel. The photo shows some of the restored artwork. The 5th picture is up another floor to a room set up as a residence. The fact that the desk is enclosed in glass suggests it's valuable, but I don't know the story. The last picture is taken from the top of the tower, looking across the countryside that would have been part of the castle's domain.
    Read more