Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 9

    Rovinj

    9 octobre 2021, Croatie ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Rovinj is a city in Istrian Croatia whose old town is situated on a hill on what had been an island but is now a peninsula. It dates back to pre-Roman times and was made part of the Roman and Byzantine Empires. Today it is an active fishing port and popular tourist destination.
    The 1st picture looks across the edge of the new pier and bay to the old town on the hill. It is a bit reminiscent of Venice with buildings right in the water. No surprise as the city was ruled by Venice for centuries. The tower of St. Euphemia Basilica can be seen at the very top. St. Euphemia's is in the 2nd picture. The bell tower is just to the left.
    The 3rd picture is part of the old city walls. The 4th picture is of the main or harbor square and is a central meeting point filled with restaurants, coffee shops, boutiques, etc.
    The 5th picture is Balbi's Arch, dating to 1680. Interestingly, on one side is carved a head of a Turk. On the other side is the head of a Venetian. And, no, I haven't learned why it has that name. My guess is a guy named Balbi commissioned it.
    The last picture is a typical "street" leading up the hill.
    En savoir plus