Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Sibenik

    October 13, 2021 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Sibenik is another important city on the Adriatic. It is located on a channel behind a number of islands, creating a sound not like the ones behind Long Island and the outer banks. The main or St. Anthony's channel into this area is directly opposite Sibenik, making this a sheltered and safe anchorage.
    It is also easily defended. A fortress was built to control access, and 3 more fortresses are in and above the city. These defenses were strong enough to thwart even an overwhelming Ottoman army.
    The 1st picture is of the walls of St. Michael's fortress, the oldest of the 4 and the one around which the town grew up.
    The 2nd picture looks out from the Barone fortress on the hill above the city. You can see part of St. Anthony's channel where the St. Nicholas fort is located but isn't visible here.
    The 3rd picture is of the small chapel adjacent to St Michaels fortress.
    The 4th picture is of the old town hall, located across the square and directly facing the Lion Portal of the cathedral (see another post).
    The last 2 pictures are interesting locations in Sibenik that can give a flavor of what the old town is like.
    Read more