Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 17

    Omis

    17 Oktober 2021, Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Omis, pronounced Omish, is another Adriatic port town on the Dalmatian coast. This one is known for its pirate history. The Corsairs of Almissa and their fast attack ships were feared by traders in the Adriatic region. They were able to easily escape into the Cetina River here, and, in turn, protected Omis from invaders.
    The 1st picture is of the main square in the center of town. The size of the square shows just how small Omis is. The 2nd picture is St. Rocco's church or plague church as St. Rocco is often associated with ending plagues.
    The 3rd picture looks up the Cetina River from the edge of the old town. That is a canyon cutting into the mountains which might explain how the corsairs were able to escape do readily.
    The 4th picture looks up to the mountain behind the town. About in the center is a flag atop one of the 2 fortresses above the town that I'm told the pirates used to identify ships to be attacked.
    The 5th picture looks up to another of the old churches and shows how much of the town is accessed by stairs. The last picture is of a typical side street in the part of town below the steep hillside.
    Baca lagi