Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Tvrdos monastery

    October 22, 2021 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Another of the important, arguably most important, Serbian Orthodox monasteries in BiH, this one dating to the 15th century, though the foundations of the 1st Ronan church, dating to the 4th century can still be seen. I'm told there has been a monastic presence since then.
    The 1st picture is of the church within the monastery. This is 20th century as the original structure was destroyed by the Venetians in the late 17th century. The 2nd picture looks across the atrium garden to the cloister. The 3rd picture is an outdoor painting for the monastery that is dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos.
    The 3rd and 4th pictures are in the church. The 4th is the nave, and the 5th looks up into the dome. All of this is 20th century art. All the originals that could be saved from the destruction are now at a monastery in Montenegro.
    The last picture acknowledges that this monastic community is well known for its wines. And they offer tastings! These are the 2 that I tasted. Fear not the Cyrillic labels. The one on the left is a Cabernet Sauvignon, and the one on the right is their Vranac. I can't recommend the Vranac highly enough. It's outstanding. One of the best wines I've ever tasted.
    Read more