Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Olympia, Athletics

    November 9, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Most of us are most familiar with the great games held every 4 years beginning in the 8th century BCE that continued for as much as 1,200 years until they were suppressed as part of the ending of pagan worship.
    The 1st picture is the gymnasium where athletes trained for running and the pentathlon. The 2nd picture looks at the Palaestra where athletes trained for wrestling, boxing and jumping. I also understand that there were times when philosophers spoke and taught here.
    The 3rd picture is in the stadium, taken from the top of the slope at one end. There is a guy towards the bottom to give a sense of scale. It's huge. Also, in the lower right is the entrance for the athletes. It was originally vaulted. The 4th picture looks down the entry path to the athletes' entrance. Along the left side is a series of statue bases. Each held a bronze statue of Zeus, paid for by the fines paid by each athlete who cheated. The base was inscribed with the name of the athlete and how he cheated.
    The 5th picture is of the unique triangular column on which stood a statue of Nike, the goddess of victory. The statue is in the museum (see another post).
    The last picture is the Bouleterion, I think. The Bouleterion is where officials and athletes swore their sacred oaths before the game at the altar of Zeus Horkios housed within.
    Read more