Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Archaeology Museum of Olympia

    November 9, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    This is one of the most important museums in Greece. It houses artifacts discovered in this region, most notably from the site of ancient Olympia (see other posts).
    The 1st picture is of a reconstruction of one of the pediments from the temple of Zeus (see Olympia, Religious post). Again, scale is an issue. That is 29 meters long. And the figure in the center (Apollo) is more than 3 meters tall.
    The 2nd picture is the statue of Hermes and Dionysios. Hermes is taking a break on the journey from Zeus to the nymphs who will raise Dionysios. The 3rd picture is of Nike, Goddess of victory on a portion of the triangular column (see Olympia, Athletics post).
    The 4th picture is Hittite or Assyrian bronze lions head found at the site, attesting to the importance of this place in the wider region.
    The 5th picture is an artist's conception of what the famous statue us Zeus might have looked like, based on contemporaneous descriptions (see Olympia, Religions post).
    The last picture is a model of what the entire site might have looked like at it's peak.
    Read more