Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Acropolis of Sparta

    November 12, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    In ancient Greece, the acropolis (literally, high city) was the place of government, where elites lived and where the main religious sites were located. Unfortunately, most of the ancient site is not well preserved, though it is now protected as a park.
    The most notable of the ruins is the theater in the 1st picture that was taken from the "nose bleed" seats. The theater is really from the Roman period, but there is a record of a theater here several centuries BCE. It is thought that the Roman theater might be built upon the older one.
    The 2nd picture looks over a small Byzantine church to the "round building," as it's called. No one really knows what this building was for.
    The 3rd picture looks over Tunis on the hill approaching the acropolis. The 4th picture looks out at the view from the acropolis.
    The 5th picture is of the ruins of the temple of Athena Chalkiokos at the highest point. Chalkioikos refers to bronze sheets that decorated the interior walls.
    The last picture is identified as the Basilica of St Nikon from about the 10th century.
    Read more