Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Mystras

    November 13, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Mystras is a medieval/Byzantine city a short distance from Sparti, as modern Sparta is known. It was founded by the Franks in the 13th century in the aftermath of the 4th crusade, beginning as the citadel on the hilltop.
    In the middle of the 13th century, the Byzantines began to push the Franks out, resulting in a period of insecurity. During this period, the local population built and moved to a new Byzantine city below the fortress. This is the current historic site.
    Byzantine cities of this period are typically built on a hill, with the upper city for the rulers, the middle city for what might be called the middle class and the lower city for everyone else. Each section was walled with strong gates for successive defense if necessary.
    The 1st picture is taken in the citadel looking from the high point back down toward the gate. The 2nd picture is in the citadel chapel.
    Below the citadel is the upper town. The 3rd picture is taken from the upper town looking up to the citadel. The 4th picture is the palace, currently under reconstruction. This building was the administrative heart of this region. The 5th picture is the gate between the middle and upper cities. The cobblestone street and walls are typical. The last picture looks over the middle city ruins to the view.
    The lower city is mostly gone. So I didn't take pictures. Most of the buildings in the middle city that can be identified are churches and monasteries. I'm putting some of those in another post.
    Read more