Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Nafplio

    November 15, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    (N.B. I have seen the town called Nafplio and Nafplion. I have seen the former more often. So I choose to use this spelling.). And a shout out and thanks to Ginny DeMattei who is right about this place. It's lovely, even in gloomy weather.
    Human activity here goes back to prehistory, and this town has been significant in any number of conflicts over the centuries, including the Ottoman and Venetian conflicts. The 3 fortresses (see another post) here have played important roles in local history. In fact, Nafplio was the 1st capital of the Greek Republic after gaining independence from the Ottoman empire in the 19th century.
    Except for the 1st picture, all the rest are in the old town. For me, old towns are far more interesting than modern towns.
    The 1st picture is the waterfront adjacent to the old town and the modern port and marina.
    On the edge of the old town is this ancient olive tree in the 2nd picture. I'm told it's a symbol for Nafplio as this was planted in Panagia Square on the spot where St. Anastasios, the patron saint of the town, was martyred.
    The 3rd picture is in Constitution Square in the center of the old town. The building in the back is the archaeological museum. The building dates to 1713 and was built by the Venetians as a naval store.
    The 4th picture is adjacent to Constitution Square and looks at a former mosque from the Ottoman periods. It served as the 1st parliament building of the Greek Republic and today hosts functions.
    The last picture is in the church on the square. The decor here has much more gold and silver than in other local churches I've seen here
    Read more