Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Midea

    November 15, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    This is an ancient Mycenaean citadel dating to about 1500 BCE that was severely damaged by an earthquake in the 13th century BCE. Even so, it was considered the 3rd Mycenaean acropolis after Mycenae and Tiryns (see other posts). Whatever was left after the earthquake was destroyed when Argos overran the citadel in about the 5th century BCE.
    The citadel had 2 main sections: the acropolis at the top and the lower town. The 1st picture looks up from the lower town near the south gate to the acropolis. The 2nd picture is of the remains of the small postern gate, used for defensive sallies and for escapes. The 3rd and 4th pictures are the east and west gates respectively. These are both reached by long steep ramps under the walls, making an assault on the gates difficult.
    The last 2 pictures are in the lower town. The 5th picture is of a large, multi-room building near the south gate. It is the south gate that is used today. The original structure at the gate is gone. The last picture looks across the lower town, showing how this portion of the citadel was built on terraces.
    I didn't post anything from up on top of the acropolis as there is no longer anything there save a couple old basement structures just above the west gate. The very top is barren.
    Read more