Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Mycenaean Funerary Ruins

    November 16, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Much of what is reasonably in tact here are the remains of their burial practices. Perhaps because they are underground and more strongly supported against the earthquakes. Likewise, they are less likely to be broken down for reuse of the stone. Whatever the reason, they are, it seems to me, a significant part of what is to be seen here.
    Mycenaean burial practices are well represented in the Peloponnesian area as they were the dominant culture for a number of centuries (see Voudeni post). Given that, I'm choosing to post pictures of the more lavish tombs here.
    The 1st picture is the entrance to the Lion Tomb, as it's called, and the 2nd picture is the circular tomb past the door. It's hard to see, but this is a corbelled structure. The 3rd and 4th pictures are entryways to tombs called Tomb of Clytemnestra and tomb of Agamemnon (or Treasury of Atreas). The 5th picture shows the beehive construction in these 2 tombs.
    The last picture is one of the grave circles. These are deep circular structures within which a number of graves were located. You can also see the double ring of stones above the deep circle. I have not seen a discussion of these practices.
    Read more