Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Acropolis of Athens

    November 19, 2021 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    What might just be called the crowning glory of Athens, the Acropolis is an ancient fortified hill with evidence of human activity dating to at least the 4th millennium BCE. However, what we see today dates to about the 5th century BCE and the building program of Pericles after the old Acropolis was destroyed by Persians.
    These pictures are all taken on the Sacred Rock, as it is sometimes called, except the 2nd picture which looks up at it from a distance.
    There is only one way to start a set of pictures of the Acropolis in my opinion, and that is with the Parthenon. This is the "new" temple of Athena, goddess of the city and one of the most recognizable buildings in the world.
    The 3rd picture is the Propylaea or entrance to the sacred site. This is taken from inside the Acropolis. The 4th picture is a small temple adjacent to the Propylaea called the Temple of Athena Nike. Built to honor Athena and Nike (goddess of victory), it asked for victory in the Peloponnesian Wars
    The 5th picture is the Erechtheion for (possibly) Poseidon and Athena. The picture is taken from the side with the unusual Maiden Porch with it's series of female statures holding up the roof.
    The last picture is an olive tree located where it is said Athena won the contest against Poseidon with her gift of the olive over Poseidon's gift of salt water. As the winner, she was chosen as goddess of the city.
    Read more