Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Ancient Amman

    November 26, 2021 in Jordan ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Ammon, formerly known as Philadelphia and before that as Rabbah, dates to at least 7,000 BCE. In the 13rh century, it was the capital of the Ammonites. What today is known as the Citadel is located on a hill that is in central, modern Amman. But it was fortified at least as early as the 18th century BCE. As in much of this part of the world, the ancient town was located within the walls. What is a bit unusual is that the citadel was continuously occupied up until the 19th century.
    The 1st picture is just inside the citadel entrance. The 2nd picture is of the Temple of Hercules within the citadel.
    The 3rd picture looks at a later addition to ancient Amman by the Romans. Every Roman city had to have a theater. This one is located across what was a stream that is now in a conduit and is built into the opposite hillside.
    The 4th period recalls the Christian or Byzantine period in Amman with the remains of a church located within the citadel.
    The 5th picture moves forward to the Muslim period with the Umayyad palace. The last picture is of one of the 120 cisterns I'm told exist here. This one is said to have been built by the Ottomans.
    Read more