Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Old Jaffa

    February 19, 2022 in Israel ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    Old Jaffa is one of the oldest ports in the world, dating back to at least the 15th century BCE. After all, this is the port where Jonah left before his ship ran into a storm, and he met with the proverbial whale.
    The 1st picture is the Jaffa clock tower that marks the center of Jaffa. While not impressive in itself, it began the movement in the Ottoman empire such that more than 100 similar clocks were built.
    The 2nd picture is the outer end of the seawall of the old port. The rocks are known as Andromeda's Rocks. To make a long story short, her father apparently upset Poseidon who sent a monster to get even. The only way to save Jaffa was to set his daughter Andromeda on the rocks naked. Eventually Perseus rescued Andromeda, killed the monster, and they lived happily ever after.
    The 3rd picture is the HaPisga garden at the top of Joppa hill. The 4th picture is the traditional home of Simon the Tanner where the apostle Peter had his dream about clean/unclean foods. The 5th picture is St. Peter's Church, named for that event.
    The old port in Jaffa is still active. It hosts a fleet of fisherman and a marina. Many of the port facilities are being renovated. The last picture looks along a portion of the old dock and warehouses as they now are. This has become a vibrant district.
    Read more