Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Palermo, Sicily

    March 4, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Palermo, the capital of Sicily, dates to the 8th century BCE when it was founded by Phoenicians. Located in the northwest of the island, it has been a bit of a cultural melting pot. Even today the cultural diversity is evident.
    The center of Palermo is a cross roads called Quatro Canti or 4 corners. The buildings on the 4 corners are round, facing the cross road, making the space circular. The 1st picture looks at one of the 4 Canti. The acoustics are such that there are often musicians playing here.
    The 2nd picture looks down one of the main streets to the Porto Nuovo or new gate in the background. This picture is taken from inside the city. It is much more ornate on the other side. Unfortunately, that picture didn't come out. BTW, the gate dates to the early 16th century, and, yes, that's new in this part of the world.
    The 3rd picture looks down from the roof of St. Catherine's Church (see another post) onto the Piazza Praetoria with the large fountain. The fountain is Carrera marble, made in Florence, and purchased by Palermo for this piazza. This piazza is sometimes called the Square of Shame as the statues are in the nude, and one side of the square is a convent that looks down on the sculptures.
    The 4th picture is the Teatro Massimo, the largest opera house in Italy and 3rd largest in Europe, after Paris and Vienna.
    The 5th picture is one of the public gardens here. In the background is the Palazzo Di Normanni or Royal Palace (see another post.).
    The last picture is the Palazzo delle Poste. This monumental post office building is an example of the style of architecture associated with the Mussolini era. It is classical but stripped down to eliminate ornamentation. It is sometimes called Italian Rationalism. I have heard this style called, perhaps tongue in cheek, Mussolini Monumental.
    Read more