Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Older Bari

    March 9, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Bari in southeastern Italy dates back about 4,000 years or so and was probably first settled by Greeks. It became much more important during Roman times as this was the end of one of the main roads from Rome, probably because of it's harbor. It became an important port for trade with the east and for transshipment of military forces and materiel. During the middle ages, Bari was an important slave depot.
    The 1st picture is the facade of the 12th century Basilica of St. Nicholas, the patron saint of Bari. Those who have followed my travels know that St. Nicholas is from Turkey, and that people from Bari took his remains from there and brought them to Bari (see other posts). The 2nd picture is in the crypt of the Basilica and looks at the small chapel holding the remains of St. Nicholas.
    The 3rd and 4th pictures are streets in Barivecchia, the old city. The 3rd is at one of the gates in the old city wall on the harbor side. The 4th is s typical passage through the ancient buildings.
    The 5th picture is of ruins I couldn't find identified. They appear to be a basilica, given the columns and floor mosaic that are suggestive of a 3 nave church building. Notice that this structure is well below the modern street level. This is an example of urban archaeology showing how ground level rises over time as new construction overtops the old, often due to some form of destruction.
    The last picture is in the Romanesque Cathedral of San Sabinus. The original building was 11th century but was sacked. The current structure was built in the 12th century.
    See additional posts for more old Bari.
    Read more