Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Pompeii

    March 13, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Famously destroyed and buried by Mt. Vesuvius in 79 CE, Pompeii is said to be the best preserved Roman city anywhere. Settlement here dates to at least the 8th century BCE, but the oldest remains are parts of the old walls dated to the 6th century BCE. Most of what remains was built in the 200-300 years before the 79 CE eruption.
    The 1st picture looks along the outer walls of the city, probably 2nd century. BCE.
    The 2nd picture look down the forum to the temple of Jupiter (the Roman name for Zeus). That's Vesuvius in the background.
    The 3rd picture is one of the best preserved mosaics in Pompeii. Notice the floor covering in the rear. This mosaic is in such good condition, it is covered during the rainy season.
    The 4th picture is one of the scores of fountains in the city where people could come for water. Most are made of volcanic rock. This is the exception, made of marble. The sculpture is the goddess Ceres.
    The 5th picture looks along a main street. You can see raised stones in the road. These are cross walks to keep people out of the slop in the streets. The stones are specifically spaced so that carts made with the wheels at a standard spacing can pass.
    Immediately to the right of where I took the previous picture is "Pompeian fast food." This is a carry out food vendor, mostly soups, bread, wine, etc.
    The 7th picture looks across the training yard of the gladiator school. That's Vesuvius again in the background.
    The last picture us one of the bakeries in the city. It is said that dozens of fossilized loaves of bread were found in the ovens around town, sealed in the closed ovens by the ash.
    Read more