Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 16

    Renaissance (and more) Rome

    18 marzo 2022, Italia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Rome is known for its ancient history as well as its renaissance art and architecture. In fact, some of its best known sites are from the Renaissance and baroque periods.. Here are some that I visited.
    The 1st picture is the Trevi Fountain, the largest baroque fountain in Rome. It dates to the 18th century. It replaced previous fountains in this location and is carved from travertine marble quarried nearby. The water in this fountain is supplied by a Roman aqueduct built in the 1st century, 1 of 2 that still supply Rome with drinking water today.
    The 2nd picture, albeit not a very good picture, is of the Spanish Steps, another baroque masterpiece. The fountain in front of the steps is the 17th century fountain of the longboat, named after a boat dropped here by a Tiber flood. The steps were built in the 18th century by the Bourbons to link the Spanish embassy at the top with the Holy See at the bottom.
    The 3rd picture is of Mussolini's monumental structure. If you've seen pictures of IL Duce giving a speech or reviewing a parade, it was probably here. The statues on the roof are the largest in Rome, and the equestrian statue of Victor Emmanuel, Italy's 1st king is the 2nd largest. To give sense of scale, the equestrian statue was opened by Mussolini's people and a dinner party for 20 was seated inside.
    The 4th and 5th pictures are of the 16th century Jesuit Church of Jesus: the facade and the interior, respectively. This is the mother church of the Jesuits. It is said that this is the 1st truly baroque facade. The 5th picture is the high altar.
    The 6th picture is the Piazza Navona. In the center, with the obelisk, is the fountain of the 4 rivers by Bernini. The obelisk was Domitian's. To the right is the Church of St. Agnes in Agony.
    Leggi altro