Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Spoleto

    March 24, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Spoleto is an ancient town dating to at least the 5th century BCE. It is not a hill town but is located on high ground at the head of a broad valley and surrounded by mountains. I was surprised to learn that Hannibal attacked Spoletium. (as it was known then), and he and his army were sent packing.
    Spoleto is known as a center for culture and the arts, not least for its annual 3 week festival of music, theater and dance. The Festival of 2 Worlds, as it's called, was initiated by Gian Carlo Menotti in the 1950s.
    The 1st picture is taken from the castle (see another post) over looking the old town with the newer part of town in the distance. The 2nd picture is also taken from the castle and looks at a bridge and aqueduct called the Ponte Del Torre that dates to at least the 13th century. The aqueduct no longer works, but the bridge still does. The building at the far end is the garrison that guarded the bridge, and it directed water to 2 old mills.
    The 3rd picture is the Cathedral of the Assumption of Mary and dates from the 12th century. Most striking in the facade of the Romanesque basilica is the mosaic of Christ giving a benediction. The 4th picture is in the nave. The altar cross also dates to the 12th century and is a Byzantine icon.
    The fountain in the 5th picture is not surprisingly called the fountain of the mask. This fountain probably dates to the middle of the 16th century. These fountains were the water source for people in the neighborhood when they do don't have plumbing into the house. The water here is still fine and tastes good.
    One of the reasons Spoleto was chosen by Menotti for the festival was its many venues, not least the well preserved Roman theater in the 6th picture. This is one of the 1st theaters I've seen that is well enough preserved that the hollows under the seats with their accessways are open (the 7th picture).
    The 8th picture is a fresco in the museum at the Roman theater. It is the only painting of the Last Supper from that period that I've seen that includes women and children.
    The 9th picture is a of a nearly completely preserved Roman house from the early imperial period.
    The last picture is a typical street . The herringbone pavement is original.
    Read more