Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Milano

    April 6, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Milan is a major world city with strengths in finance, fashion, R&D, and many more. It has the 3rd largest economy in Europe and is considered the industrial and financial capital of Italy.
    There is evidence of settlement here as early as the 7th century BCE and possibly before. Eventually, it became part of the Roman empire. When Diocletian divided the empire, Milan (then known as Mediolanum) was made the western capital.
    The 1st picture is the Metropolitan Cathedral- Basilica of the Nativity of St. Mary. Construction began in the 14th century and continued for almost 600 years. This is the largest gothic cathedral in the world. The facade is most recognizable and is a symbol of Milan.
    The 2nd picture is the Piazza del Duomo, taken from the cathedral, looking back across the main square of Milan.
    The 3rd picture is what for many of us is the most famous buildings in Milan. This is La Scala, one of the top.opera houses in the world.
    The 4th picture is the castle. This castle was built in the 15th century upon older fortifications. This castle was the seat of the Sforza family. You might consider them to be the Milanese equivalent of the Medici in Florence.
    The 5th picture is the Basilica di Sant'Ambrogio (better known as Ambrose), patron saint of Milan. This 4th century church was formerly known as the Church of the Martyrs as many martyrs are buried here. It is said that there are relics of one of the magi here as well.
    The 6th picture is the courtyard of the Biblioteca di Brera. Brera is the artistic area of Milan, and this building houses many studios where artists learn and sharpen skills.
    The 7th picture is in an inner courtyard and is said to be an excellent example of typical Milanese housing, especially before all the destruction of world war 2.
    The 8th picture is a bit of a surprise for me. I didn't know that Milan was a port and a city of canals. Ships came up the Po River from Rimini and then by canal to this point where duties were paid. Goods went on from there either by canal or overland.
    The 9th picture would have been a common sight in past centuries. This is the city laundry. Those sloped stones by the water were washboards.
    Read more