Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Zurich

    April 10, 2022 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland. It was founded by the Romans (aka Turicum), but human presence in the area can be traced back to at least 4 millennia earlier. Today, Zurich is a world class financial center, especially well known for banking and insurance.
    The 1st 2 pictures look over Zurich from opposite sides of the river Limmat: from the university terrace and the Lindenhof, respectively. Most noticable in Zurich's skyline are the church steeples, many of which have clocks, which for me is no surprise. The Swiss have a reputation for their timepieces.
    Zurich was one of the 2 Swiss centers of the Protestant Reformation (the other being Geneva, see posts yet to come). The reformer in Zurich was Huldrych Zwingli. He, along with John Calvin in Geneva, are considered to be the founders of Reformed theology. The 4th picture is the Grossmünster where Zwingli preached.
    Zurich is located on one of the larger of the many lakes in Switzerland: Zürichsee. That is the 6th picture.
    The 7th picture is one of Zurich's better known streets: Niederdorf where many restaurants are located.
    Zurich has hundreds of fountains that provide potable water around the city. There is a tradition each spring of filling some of them with flowers to celebrate the end of winter. One of those is the last picture.
    Read more