Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Droze village

    November 1, 2022 in Ethiopia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    The Droze people are an Ethiopian ethnic group living in the highlands in the southern part of the country. They are perhaps most famous for their houses. The 1st picture shows these houses made from bamboo that look like elephant faces (intentionally). The trunk is the entry. The eyes provide light and a vent for rainy season cooking fires. The next 2 pictures are inside the house, showing a sleeping area and some crockery.
    They are also well known for their textiles. The 4th picture shows cotton being spun from raw cotton bolls brought up from the lowlands. They remove the seeds to return them for the next crop.
    The 5th picture is a weaver at work along with some of the wares. I'm told that Droze weavers provide for Ethiopian Airlines flight attendants.
    One of their staple foods is the false banana. In the 6th picture, the woman is shredding the plant from the fibers and outer covering. The fibers are used for rope, among other things. The plant pulp is fermented in the ground for 3 months and then dug up and used. A primary use is for bread that is cooked and a plate similar injera, but the dough is baked between leaves.
    The 8th picture is the finished beard with fishes of local organic honey and a spice paste. In the back is homemade arack, their local alcoholic beverage. I got to enjoy all if it, including their ceremony for drinking the arack.
    The last 2 pictures are more examples of their artistic talent and craftsmanship.
    Read more