Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Hamer

    November 5, 2022 in Ethiopia ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Yet another of the tribes of the South Omo Valley, the Hamer are largely pastoralists who value cattle highly. They are one of the larger tribes in the region.
    They are especially well known for their custom of bull jumping (see other posts).
    The 1st picture looks at the entrance to the village of about 850 people while the 2nd looks at a family cluster of houses. The Hammer spread out the clusters so that each family unit has space for housing and for keeping livestock at night. The goats and cattle are out seeking forage and water during the day. The 3rd picture is inside a typical Hamer home.
    The 4th picture is of elder women while the 5th picture is of young unmarried women. I'm told marriage age is about 15 for women and 22 for men. The 6th picture is a newlywed in the house where she remains for a period. Her head is shaved so she grows new hair with her husband. Her body has been painted with local ochre.
    The 7th picture is of some really young goats who were noisily calling to the goats in the 8th picture as they return from grazing during the day.
    The last picture is a man making rope
    Read more