Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Robinson Crusoe Island

    March 8, 2023 in Fiji ⋅ 🌬 28 °C

    Robinson Crusoe Island, aka Likuri Island, is a small islet off Fiji's Coral Coast. The entire island is the resort. The focus here is the laid back atmosphere where they do an amazing job of demonstrating local culture plus lots of other island activities.
    The 1st picture is a distance shot that catches the palms, the sandy beach and some of the resort buildings in the trees to the left. Arrivals are met with the resort staff singing a traditional welcome (the 1st picture), followed by a welcoming kava ceremony (the 2nd picture).
    The next 3 pictures are at the lovo or the Fijian method of cooking in the earth. The fire is built around rocks that, when heated to red hot, are used to cook the feast (4th picture). The food is placed on the rocks and buried. When done, the food is uncovered as in the 5th picture. That was our dinner, and it was excellent. After the food is removed, several of the men on staff demonstrated fire walking, barefoot on the hot rocks that had cooked dinner (the 6th picture).
    The rest of the pictures are a few of what I took of their culture show. There were many dances, including sword, travel, fire, Polynesian and specifically Fijian dance. There was just so much that was stunning that I can't post it all. However, I am posting a video of their finale fire dance (see another post). This will give a sense of what was done.
    Read more