Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Pago Pago

    March 23, 2023 in American Samoa ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    Pago Pago is the capital of US Territory of American Samoa. It is the only town in the territory that had a semblance of a downtown, as we know it. It also has the distinction of being the southernmost US capital and the only one in the southern hemisphere.
    Tutuila, the main island of American Samoa, has one of the deepest and best protected natural harbors in the Pacific. The US has it because it needed the harbor for the Navy in years past as a coaling station. Today, it is the commercial harbor for the country. Pago Pago is located here.
    The 1st picture is the view from my hotel room. The view is of the outer harbor and the Pacific Ocean. The 2nd picture is taken from the head of the harbor looking back towards the entrance. The harbor make an S curve between the entrance in the 1st picture and here.
    The next 4 pictures are of government facilities. The 3rd picture is the center of the executive offices. The 4th picture is the High Court. Notice the traditional architecture with verandas all around. The 5th picture is the legislature, and the 6th picture is the governor's mansion (located on a hill right above my hotel). The 7th picture is the view from the governor's mansion.
    The 8th picture is the green in the center of "downtown" Pago Pago. The 9th picture is the Fagatogo Market near the green. This section had local produce sellers. Behind it are clothes and other merchandise sellers plus a fish market and a few small eateries.
    The last picture, taken next to the Market, is the bus station. The best description I have for the buses is tricked out 2nd hand school buses. And yes, it seems that all the buses in the territory are like these two.
    Read more