Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Central

    May 1, 2023 in Hong Kong ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    This is downtown Hong Kong, with the colonial government and their related presence. Plus, right next door is the the older commercial district.
    The 1st picture is the high court building. It's a colonial building with the Indian covered walkway. It has a Chinese style roof that's barely visible.
    The 2nd picture is a feng shui battle. The building to the right is the HSBC HQ. The smaller building in the center is the old Bank of China building. China couldn't handle HSBC being taller so they built the taller building to the left. It's triangular, with the sharp point towards HSBC. HSBC put cranes on the roof that aren't used but look like cannons pointed toward BoC. The center building was built by HK's richest man. It's between the 2 in height.
    The 3rd picture is one of the lions in front of HSBC. It carries thr damage from the Japanese attack in WW 2.
    The 4th picture looks from the government to commercial areas and is a an example of cultural disconnect. The name is the road in Chinese is "Wife of the King" road because they could not conceive of a woman as head of government. The name remains today
    The 5th picture is one of the few remaining colonial roads. It is made of stone paved shallow steps up the hill to facilitate movement of goods.
    The next 3 pictures are examples of the commerce in that area. The 6th picture is an expensive dim sum restaurant. The 7th is the current version of a wet market (no more live fowl due to bird flu), and a small vegetable street market next door.
    Read more