Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    West of Central

    May 3, 2023 in Hong Kong ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    These are a few more sites in the Central district of HK. The 1st picture turned out to be a place I frequented most during my visit: in fact at least once each day. This is part of the longest escalator in the world. It runs in sections for about 800 meters from Central (see other posts) to the Mid-levels where my hotel was. The 2nd picture is also along the escalator, this time in Soho, an entertainment district.
    The 3rd picture is in the courtyard of the PMQ. This is the former Police Married Quarters, where married officers were housed in about 300 sf per couple. Today it's an incubator for artists and entrepreneurs.
    The PMQ was built on the site of the former Queens College. The 4th picture is of the foundations of the college building and the 5th picture is a model of the college. The college is remembered in part because of one of its most famous alumni, Sun Yat Sen. Dr. Sun is often called the father of the Republic of China for his role is the overthrow of the Qing dynasty.
    The last picture is of the Victorian era police station adjacent to Victoria Prison (see another post).
    Read more