Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Kakadu National Park

    May 11, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    Kakadu National Park is UNESCO world heritage site in Australia's Northern Territory. It is almost 20,000 SQ km, and is mostly owned by local aboriginals who jointly manage it with the parks agency. Interestingly, the park surrounds in existing uranium mine.
    The park is ecologically rich, with woodland Savannah and wetland/flood plain ecotypes prominent. It has a long aboriginal history exemplified by the extensive rock art (see another post).
    The 1st picture looks at the woodland savannah. If you look in the background, you'll see smoke. For thousands of years, the native folks have managed the area with controlled burns at the end of the wet season which is now. That is what the smoke is.
    The next 2 pictures look out from the top of a rock outcrop. The 2nd picture looks over some woodland savannah while the 3rd looks toward the Alligator River floodplain.
    The remaining pictures are of a cruise on the East Alligator River. The 4th and 5th pictures are a look at the river. The 6th picture is of an interesting rock formation. You might make out several facial profiles. I think the most obvious looks like ET.
    The 7th and 8th pictures are taken in Arnhemland. This is a closed aboriginal land accessible only by invitation. The 7th picture look back along the river. The 8th picture has our aboriginal guide demonstrating a spear thrower, much like what the Aztecs called an atlatl.
    Read more