Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Oé-cusse, Timor-Leste

    May 19, 2023 in East Timor ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Timor-Leste is the proper name for East Timor. This is the least visited country in Asia, and Oé-cusse is the least visited part of the least visited country.
    While not unique, Oé-cusse is separated from the rest of Timor-Leste as an enclave surrounded by indonesian West Papua.
    The 1st picture is the original monument at the location where the Portuguese first landed on Timor Island in the 16th century. The 2nd picture is a newer monument that has a ship, sailors, natives and more to commemorate that event.
    The 3rd picture is a bit of the beach in the main town across the street from the old Portuguese administrative building in the 4th picture.
    The 5th and 6th pictures are of the old Portuguese church dedicated to Saint Anthony. The building has been renovated, but much of the original architecture is maintained except that the building was white stone. This is now plastered.
    The last 2 pictures are at the waterfront enclosure dedicated to Mary. The entry is guarded by 2 angels (picture 7). The 8th picture is a statue of Mary, the mother of Jesus. An annual town festival centers here on a Mary feast day.
    The last 2 pictures are at the airport. It's a beautiful new building, obviously built for future growth. The last picture is the departure board for all the day's flights: our domestic flight to Dili.
    Read more