Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Dag 10

    Suroba Village

    25 maj 2023, Indonesien ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    Suroba is a village of the Dani tribe in the Baliem Valley near Wanema (see another post) in the central mountains of West Papua.
    The 1st picture is one of the bridges over the Aike River along the path to reach the village. There is only access by footpath. The rest of the pictures are in and around the village.
    The 2nd picture looks toward the village as we approached. The 3rd picture shows the wall around the village and the main gate.
    The 4th picture is of the women's compound. The long building to the right is the pig house. Pigs are released to forage during the day and return here for the night. The building to the left is the cook house where meals are prepared. And the small huts to the rear are sleeping spaces. The 5th picture is also in the women's compound looking in the opposite direction. You can see a gate the lifts to allow pigs to enter.
    The 6th picture shows the entrance to the men's compound. The entrance to the women's is similar. Note the Y shaped stick under the door. This is a step up over the protective wall to keep out unwanted critters.
    The 7th picture is of the men's compound. Here is where the initiation of boys to manhood takes place. The hut to the back is for single men
    Läs mer