Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Jayapura, West Papua

    May 23, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    Jayapura is the capital and largest city of the Indonesian province of Papua. It is on the north coast of the Island of New Guinea. It was originally known as Hollandia when it was established by the Dutch.
    The 1st 2 pictures are of houses originally built by the Dutch. The 1st had been remodeled, but the one in the 2nd picture is original. It is the only one left that retains its original design and construction.
    The 3rd picture is of the new St. Paul's church, taken from the street with the Dutch houses
    The 4th picture is the new executive offices of the Papua Province government.
    The 5th picture is an overview of the city and its harbor from a nearby ridge. During world war 2, there was a naval base here. The 6th picture is of a park where guns had been emplaced to protect the harbor. Today, there is an old Sherman tank and other WW 2 weapons placed on the site.
    Jayapura is also known for its stilt houses. The 7th picture looks across the harbor to one of the islands with stilt houses standing out from the shore. The next 2 pictures look at a bit of how they get around the communities of stilt houses. That walkway is as rickety as it looks.
    The last picture is of a fishing vessel out in the harbor. I'm told they fish using nets, but I'm not clear on how the vessel operates. I can say that I've never seen anything quite like it.
    Read more