衛星
マップで表示する
  • 日51

    Last entry I promise - to the town of Mu

    2023年7月12日, スペイン ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Final steps into the little town of Muxia.
    From the parador we walked along the path behind the beach back onto the Camino for the last time.
    The path curves along by the quiet road into Muxia.
    Muxia is on a headland with the town stretching from the port on one side to the bay on the other. The iconic chapel and ‘stone boat’ are out on the headland. First we went to explore the port side and of course came across first, James, about to set off on the bus to Santiago! He’s really quite an unlikely Camino soulmate but seems to be the person who inevitably pops up at every significant moment. Then as we were drinking coffee, Alan and Janet walked past - also on their way to the bus but in this case to Finisterre as they had walked the Muxia route and were going on to spend a few days in Finisterre. They are bound for a Japanese Camino next apparently. Also met up with Geoff and Sailor, father and daughter from Chicago who we fist came across at Santa Marina - Casa Pepa. So many great people.
    Delicious churros with the coffee.
    Then out to the rocks, the chapel, the Herida sculpture and the real ending - although there have been a few. We were blessed with perfect weather again, clouds and sun making for a dramatic backdrop to a dramatic landscape.
    After climbing to the very top where we could look down on both sides of the town as well as across to the parador and further we walked back into the town to find some lunch. On the way we saw what I think must have been dolphins chasing a shoal of fish which was extremely exciting
    Lunch in a little restaurant in a street behind the port was perfect - salad, local bread, padrón peppers and chips (and fish for Richard).
    It took about 45 minutes to walk back to the parador - I chose to walk along the beach (Richard had stayed behind in the town to get a couple of presents).
    I’ve clearly and very evidently run out of superlatives for this whole experience and this area. All I can say is, if you’re reading this and tempted to try it, do it!! It’s a unique and very special experience.
    I’m in the process of applying to be a hospitalero at Guacelmo in the future and really hoping I’ll be accepted - maybe even for next year. I definitely feel the need to give something back for my Camino.
    Also still hoping there will be others!
    Stop press: bumped into my German friend at the airport (he of the vegan hostels who was not vegetarian and didn’t like the food and didn’t speak a word of English or Spanish - and I speak no German). So regardless of the fact that we can’t understand each other at all we had a hug and a ‘conversation’ somehow. He is on his way back to Frankfurt - he loved his Camino, got his Compostela and continued on to Finisterre and Muxia. Having been his dorm companion for several nights it felt very sad to say goodbye.
    もっと詳しく