Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Camino 6 Burgos to Fromista

    July 8, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Another long day is ahead, albeit mostly flat, so we speed through the changing landscape - the vineyards of Rioja being replaced by orange and yellows of vast plains.
    There is one big climb to negotiate between us and Fromista. All our bikes have dirty, clogged gears and mine is playing up, jamming, and the chain is jumping off. I will need to get this sorted.
    But joy, arriving at Fromista, which has a real 'frontier town' feel, and we are staying in a bike-friendly hotel where the host just cannot do enough to make our life easy! A bike maintenance and wash area is our first job, but today we don't have to hand-wash our skanky, sweaty bike clothes and drape them around the bedroom - for 5 euro we get our laundry done for us!
    A simple pelligrino meal tonight. They are pretty amazing - the quantity of food is always just crazy. So Spain specialises in 3 course menus for 10 - 15 euro, that always come with bread and wine. The wine will be a bottle, and the copious amounts of food are just impossible to finish - for example, a pasta like bolognaise, or a tuna salad the size of a main serving dish, to start, followed by fish and potatoes, or meat and chips, then dessert and of course endless bread. It's too much and I'm barely tackling one course.
    Read more