Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Cycle Ride to Casares

    December 18, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    This municipality is located on a hill between the Serranía de Ronda, the Costa del Sol and the Campo de Gibraltar. Its landscape therefore varies between the steepest and most spectacular area of the Serranía represented by the Pic de Los Reales and the cultivated lowlands of the Guadiaro Valley with their cereal fields, passing through a small stretch of coast.

    The village, declared a Historic-Artistic Ensemble, is considered one of the most beautiful in Spain. According to tradition, its origin dates back to Roman times when Julius Caesar had it built to express his gratitude since he had healed himself by bathing in the Baths of the Hedionda; However, the current urban enclosure is of Arab origin.

    Although the village is especially interesting as a whole, we can mention other places and monuments worthy of interest: the ruins of the Castle, the Church of La Encarnación, the caves of Ballesteros, those of the Hedionda, the Sima de los Huesos (precipice) and finally the birthplace of Blas Infante, politician and writer considered the father of Andalusian nationalism.
    Read more